What is a request for a variance and how do I request one?
A request for a variance is what a property owner seeks when strict compliance with the zoning ordinance such as application of setback, height, or area regulations would create an unnecessary hardship on the owner of a particular piece of property.

To be considered for a variance, the Board of Adjustment must be assured that the hardship is not self-imposed, is unique to the property (size, shape, topography of the lot, or tract), is not financial in nature, and does not simply preclude development for the "highest and best use" of the land.

Do the following to request a variance:
  • Schedule a meeting with the Planning Department.
  • Submit a Board of Adjustment application (PDF) including a $100 application fee (nonrefundable) and a site plan of the lot showing all property lines as well as a depiction of the requested variance.
  • Appear at a public hearing before the Board of Adjustment.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit to erect a sign?
2. What is a request for a variance and how do I request one?
3. What is the Board of Adjustment and when do they meet?
4. What is the City of Forney's Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?
5. What must I do to rezone my property?
6. When does the Planning and Zoning Commission meet?
7. Where do I find information about building setbacks?
8. Who can apply to rezone a piece of property?
9. Who can tell me how my property is zoned?