City of Forney Prevention Methods
The City of Forney proactively sprays for mosquitos during the mosquito season in an effort to reduce the mosquito population. See below for this season's spraying schedule:
If you keep bees within Forney City limits and are concerned about the mosquito spraying, please fill out this form so our grounds and public works department are notified.
Precautions During Spraying Times
During spraying times, it is best to take the following precautions:
- Bring your pets inside for the night and bring in any outdoor pet dishes
- Cover ornamental ponds and birdbaths
- Keep windows and doors closed during spray time
What You Can Do
While fogging mosquitos is helpful, it is important that residents do their part in order to control the mosquito population. Here is what you can do to help reduce mosquitos:
- Check your property for standing water. Check the saucers under potted plants, roof gutters, flat roofs, old tires, toys, garbage cans and dumpsters, anything that might hold water and not be emptied out regularly.
- Clean and change the water regularly (several times per week) in birdbaths, wading pools, pet dishes, and planters.
- Make sure windows/screens and doors/screens are bug-tight.
- Repair any leaky outdoor plumbing.
- Treat any standing water that can’t be drained with BTI-available at most home and garden stores.
- Use yellow bug lights in outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts outdoors, especially at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most likely to be out and about, and use an insect repellent containing DEET to help prevent mosquito bites.
If you are still having issues with mosquitos after trying these tips, please call Forney Public Works at 972-552-6695 so a representative can come out and help address the issue.