Other rules of meeting procedure are established by the City Council and are not subject to Roberts Rules of Order, although the council follows similar procedure. The City Council may act by ordinance, resolution or motion.
City Council members are elected for staggered 2-year terms.
While the City Council is elected by place number, the number is for candidacy purposes only and each member represents the entire population of Forney.
Among other authorities granted by state law and the Home Rule Charter adopted by the citizens of Forney, the City Council:
- Adopts the annual budget
- Annexes property into the city limits
- Appoints the City Manager, City Secretary, City Attorney, and Municipal Court Judges
- Approves certain city expenditures
- Awards contracts and bids
- Establishes development standards
- Makes appointments to boards and committees
- Regulates zoning
- Sets the annual property tax rate for the City of Forney