What is the Extent of an ETJ?
The extent of an ETJ is dependent on the population size of the municipality. A municipality's population only incorporates those within the City Limits and does not include the residents within the ETJ. An ETJ can extend as little as one half mile (less than 5,000 inhabitants) or as much as 5 miles (100,000 inhabitants or more). Until just recently, the City of Pflugerville has maintained a 2-mile ETJ (25,000 to 49,000 inhabitants).
What Is Regulated in the City of Forney ETJ?
- Land division is regulated through the Subdivision Process
- The fireworks ban is regulated up to 5,000 feet from the City Limits
- Tree preservation requirements are enforced up to 5,000 feet from the City Limits
- The city may abate any public nuisance in the ETJ if it is a danger to the public health. Such nuisances typically consist of dumping, noxious odors, and junk vehicles.
What Is Not Regulated in the City of Forney ETJ?
- Zoning or land use
- City Ordinances
What Services Are Provided in the ETJ?
- County Sheriff and Law Enforcement
- Fire and Emergency Services through their applicable districts
- County Road Maintenance and Service